So, I've had a busy couple of months.
The wife* and I purchased a house in mid December of last year, the culmination of months of online searching and real world touring. There were all kinds of practical reasons why we needed to do this (our now 16 month old daughter becoming self-propelled, record low interest rates, wet bars, etc.), but we all know the real reason anyone buys a house: larger, dedicated studio space!
After getting moved and settled in, I set to work on turning the back bedroom into my new recording/composing studio.
The room has a walk in closet, perfect for isolating computer noise and storing extra equipment.
A little paint:
I went with Shadowater colors, of course.
The dimensions of the space weren't bad, acoustically speaking. There was some obvious flutter echo among other things, so I worked with Auralex Acoustics to make the room sound better and bigger than it actually is. Here's what they came up with:
The standard installation method for the acoustic foam is to mount it directly to the walls with Auralex's TubeTak liquid adhesive. We plan on being in this house for the foreseeable future, but I (not to mention my wife) wasn't too excited about permanently modifying the walls of our new investment, so I watched an episode of Macgyver, then came up with the idea of gluing columns of foam to 4' X 6" strips of peg board, which could then be hung like picture frames onto the walls. For the ceiling and corner bass traps, I went with industrial strength velcro. The room sounds great, now. Looks pretty good, too:
*The wife took the great pictures, too.